Monday 22 April 2013

Breasts are not news


As you are only able to see the (completely accurate) cartoon of my legs, and not a full length picture, cartoon or otherwise, it is important that you are aware that I have very large breasts. I mean that it is important for the purposes of this blog. Not just as a boast. 

Lets talk about The Sun. The National newspaper not the hardly ever viewed orb in the sky. 

Reading the sun goes a bit like this - Page One - outrage at the latest thing we have decided to be outraged by. Usually paedophiles.

Page two - look who got thrown out of The X factor.

Page three - woman with breasts.

Page four - Ahhh! Look! Kate Middleton with a puppy. 

Why is this acceptable? (The naked woman with the puppies- not Duchess of Cambridge the puppy) Has this become like background noise to us now and we don't even think about what a ridiculous idea it is. 

There is a wonderful campaign running at the moment called No More Page 3. It is calling for The Sun to get rid of its topless girlie pictures. This is a campaign I am fully behind. It is my opinion that these dated pictures are large part of the reason that otherwise reasonable men think that it is ok to downright stare, to comment as you pass them in the street and even occasionally grab, if you happen to have large breasts. 

Almost as if having been blessed with oversized breasticles, you are automatically giving permission to every Tom, Dick and Wanker to treat you like dirt. 

One time, a man, who had his arm around his girlfriend reached out to grab my breast as I passed the couple. I wish I was joking. I really do. 

If you saw someone with a huge nose, is it acceptable to whisper 'massive conk' at them as they pass? Is it normal behaviour to maybe sneak a little stroke of their appendage? Of course it isn't. Breasts are a body part like any other.

But, I have to deal with comments on a daily basis. A perfectly nice stroll through the park is blackened as a man sneers 'cracking tits' at you as he slimes past. I am not exaggerating when I say daily basis. Truly. 

Don't get me wrong. This is not a 'my gold shoes are too tight and my pearl necklace is choking me' type blog. I am more than happy with what I've got. Yes, of course, there is the backache, the having to wear two parachutes tied together instead of a bra, the black eyes when jogging. And, indeed, big breasts are, in general, a wonderful thing. All breasts - big, small, round, square all colours, shapes, sizes and creeds. Breast should be celebrated. But not like this. 

The Sun's arguments for this ridiculous feature  that it is clinging onto desperately, include the word 'harmless'. It will not admit, that this might be the only reason this awful paper sells. But when children are subjected to this feature on a daily basis, on trains, in waiting rooms, at home, what kind of 'harmless' message are we giving to them?

This world is already an unstable place in terms of the horrific things that young people have access to with the progression of the Internet. Do we need to add this into the mix too?

We are telling young girls that this is something they should aspire to. Their fifteen minutes of fame. We are telling young boys that girls want to be looked at as sex objects. They love it. This is completely normal. Go on, have a squeeze...

The buck has to stop somewhere and I say it should be here. 

Because breasts are not news. 

Sign this petition and make it stop

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/dominic-mohan-take-the-bare-boobs-out-of-the-sun-nomorepage3

No comments:

Post a Comment